An Introduction to being an Entrepreneur…

Entrepreneurs

What are the skills and attributes entrepreneurs need to be successful?

What is an entrepreneur?

An entrepreneur is a leader. They may be small or large business owners that are prepared to take on financial risks. Entrepreneurs are problem seekers that create new inventions and solutions to help improve the lives of others. They are ready to take on risks and ready to fail, these failures they see as positive feedback for further improvement. They are problem solvers are creative thinkers that have big dreams. Entrepreneurs are always asking curious and try to find ways to positively impact the world.

What age can you become an entrepreneur?

There are no age limits to becoming an entrepreneur. The only requirements that an entrepreneur must have is determination. You can be an entrepreneur if you are determined and resilient you can become an entrepreneur. For example, Ellie Jordan and Taylah Golden were only 12 years old when they designed their own sleepwear line called Jordan Taylor. Furthermore, Molly Whiticker-Ferrie was only 14 years old when she created a business that focuses on birthday parties for girls called Fairy Friends Forever.

What personalities and qualities does an entrepreneur need to be successful?

To be an entrepreneur, you need the following qualities: self-confident; persistent; looking for opportunities; creative; independent as well as an interdepended learner; a risk taker; a leader; determined and willing to work as well as motivated and energised. All of these skills being equally critical to becoming an entrepreneur. Beginning with self-confident to be an entrepreneur, you need to have confidence in yourself and believe you can work towards a goal. You need to be hopeful and assertive. Persistent – To be an entrepreneur you must be able to fail and then learn from your mistakes and always keep trying. Being persistent can help you become competitive and a problem solver. An opportunity seeker – you must be able to seek and take every opportunity that comes by you, even if you fail, you can learn from your mistakes. Opportunities help you take risks which will help you become successful. Creativity is one of the most vital qualities you need as an entrepreneur. You must be able to think creatively and problem solve when things don’t go your way. Learning Independently and interdependently are different, both of them can help you become an entrepreneur. Firstly, you have to be able to work interdependently as you need the ability to work with others such as your customers and the people around you that can help you. However, working independently will prove that you don’t need to rely on anyone else to do your work and that you have the ability to start a business. To be a leader you must work independently, you must be able to help and support people around you and take full action in your idea. Being determined is also a very crucial skill that you need to have to be an entrepreneur, you must be able to work hard and commit time and money to your idea so it can become successful. Lastly, you must be a motivated and energised person. You must be able to devote time and energy into your idea. You must be able to motivate yourself to think and work to your goal.

Person 1: Mark Zuckerberg

Mark Zuckerberg is a successful entrepreneur who launched an app called Facebook in the year 2004. Mark Zuckerberg is an entrepreneur because he understood the whole process of his idea and how it works, he was willing to devote time to achieve his goals and plan his idea out and he was willing to develop a unique business idea. He was able to achieve this with the mindset of an entrepreneur. By being successful, he was able to donate significant quantities to charity causes. Furthermore, he has been able to get more than 1 billion users from the year 2015.  Mark Zuckerberg had a vison for the free flow of information between people. Throughout the years of Facebook’s presence, Mark Zuckerberg had a problem which he has overcome which was controversy within Facebook.

Mark Zuckerberg had the idea of Facebook when he was in college. In college he took on the work of being a computer programmer and he began creating websites on of which was Facebook.

If I could give three tips for Mark Zuckerberg for continued success I would tell him to firstly aim his target audience lower as Facebook has sometimes been called an ‘Old People App’. If he wants more users, he would aim his target audience to teenager and people in their 20s. I would also tell him to either incorporate the Facebook Messenger App into Facebook by having a direct link or something similar. Furthermore, start brainstorming ideas to adding other components to Facebook such as an anti-cyberbullying filter to help stop online bullying.

Person 2: Elon Musk

Elon Musk is the co-founder of X.com which is more well known as PayPal at the age of 28, SpaceX in 2002 at the age of 31 and Tesla Motors in 2003 at the age of 32. Elon musk is an entrepreneur as while doing recent business in SpaceX, he had to face the challenge of his business almost going bankrupt until he successfully launched his fourth rocket after the other 3 had failed. Another reason why Elon Musk is an entrepreneur is that he gave an advancement to the knowledge of space and humans. He says that he isn’t here to become the richest man in the world, but here to put every single penny and ounce of energy into expanding human knowledge and ‘Advancing Humanity’. Elon Musk has many goals and has and is working very hard towards them. Elon Musk shows the ability to take on risks and put all of his energy into his business not by supporting his own life but supporting the humanity and knowledge of others. Elon Musk displays the skills of persistence when he trialled many rockets to which the fourth one succeeded. Elon Musk also displays the personality of dreaming big and having great goals that may not be possible but are worth trying for.

What would Australia’s economy look like if there were no entrepreneurs?

If Australia didn’t have any Entrepreneurs, we would never move on or discover new things. Being an entrepreneur is about pushing the boundaries and advancing what is possible. Entrepreneurs earn money out of their business and this money proceeds to government funding to support our lives and provide us with education. Without entrepreneurs, Australia would not move on and we would not be at the same level of modernity as we would if there weren’t any entrepreneurs.

Have I ‘Got What It Takes’ to be entrepreneur?

I think that I almost have what it takes to be an entrepreneur I have the persistence when events don’t go to plan or fail, I also have the love for learning new things if it is science, maths or art, anything that enriches my learning makes me feel good about myself and enables my self-confidence. I don’t have as much self-confidence as I would like to have but being an entrepreneur is about not only learning about business and problem solving, but also learning about yourself and understanding if you are willing to take risks for the price of success. I am also creative and love to think logically. I always try to be organised and always make sure that I finish projects by the due date. The only thing that doesn’t make me an entrepreneur is an idea. I don’t currently have any idea of what new things I can discover or what I can be, but that doesn’t mean that I can never be an entrepreneur. It just means that I need more time to discover more about myself and find something that I love to do to help support the lives of others.

I am really excited to continue my journey into the world of Innovation and Enterprise. I will update you next week with another blog post!

One thought on “An Introduction to being an Entrepreneur…

1. You have definitely understood the key concepts of entrepreneurship – in particular ‘problem seekers’.
    Elon Musk certainly personifies these attributes.
    You will definitely develop some ideas Olivia! Remember – there is no such thing as a bad or silly idea!