STEM CODING 2ND LESSON

Hi Everyone,

If you were wondering why I didn’t post last week, it’s because I was on camp. In this double lesson, I got up to lesson 7 problem 9. I think that this lesson, I did not progress as fast as I did in the last coding lesson because I spent some of the time helping people and problem solving with challenging questions. I am still proud of what I have achieved and hope that I will keep going on.

One of the problems that I encountered during the lesson was answering a worded question about my code using the words ‘incremental’ and ‘iterative’. This was in unit three, lesson seven and problem 4. I found this a bit challenging as I had only heard of incremental, the word ‘iterative’ I had never heard of, hadn’t known what it meant, or how to use it in a sentence. The first thing I did to solve this problem was work out what the words meant in relation to code and how they are used in a sentence. I now know that ‘incremental’ means an increase or an addition and ‘iterative’ means to repeat. The screenshot below shows the question and the response I added to it. I still am not extremely sure that my response is correct but from this I did learn more vocabulary and how it relates to code.

After I passed this, I finished lesson 6 and moved onto lesson 7. Lesson 7 is all about adding pen widths, pen colours, angles to turns, amount of pixels moved forward, the degrees of arches/curves, and the RGBA (colours R = red/G = green/B = blue/A = alpha, opacity). While doing lesson 7 I also encountered a challenge. I didn’t quite understand that you can’t have a block that says “pen colour ‘pink’ ” and a RGBA block. I later found out that this is because the RGBA was the colour block that was needed as I had to input the amount out of 255 how much red, green and blue was in the colour. Furthermore, alpha/opacity, was out of 1 (0.5 being 50%).

At the start of lesson 7 I got a vocabulary introduction (image below) of what I was going to get introduced to.

Apart from the coding aspect of today, I did a little bit of problem solving myself when I was helping friends with their code. Their code was a little bit different to mine, making it a little bit difficult for me to understand it. After problem solving we finally figured out the problem and we celebrated and moved onto the next problem.

We were asked to do a self reflection on how we think we did for this term for STEM based on our effort.

1 = excellent

5 = not very good

I think that for completing class homework, I deserve between a 1 and a 2. I think that this is because I did complete my homework and included some detail, but there is always room for improvement.

For accepting teacher feedback I probably deserve a 1 because I always try to understand from a teachers perspective what I could do better and how I can do that myself. I always try to incorporate teacher’s feedback into my work as they know what is best for me and how I can increase my grade.

For seeking improvement, enrichment or extension I deserve between a 1 and a 2 because I seek improvement, but i’m not sure if I do it obviously for it to be recognised. I think that I did seek extension when I said I wanted to if I finish the main part of my solar panel traffic lights, to make a sequence, which is above my skill and challenging.

For promoting inclusion and respect in class, I think I deserve a 1. I think this because I am always helping my friends and making sure I pay attention in class. I think that paying attention in class is crucial especially so you understand what your task is. I think that I try to make sure that my friends are enjoying their selves and offering help when they need it.

For demonstrating involvement in learning, I think I deserve between a 1 and a 2. This is because, I know that I am learning new facts, but i’m not sure if sometimes what i’m learning has been recognised or seen by others. I feel that I need to improve on this and make sure that I am putting my hand up more often and trying even if i’m wrong.

For being punctual and organised, I think that I deserve a 1 . This is because I always make sure that I am at class on time and emailing the teacher if I was sick to catch up on the work that had been done. I always try to get my blog posts in on time and make sure that they are all included in my blog.

I hope that this blog post wasn’t too long for you and it was interesting throughout.

My last blog post will be next week, I can’t wait until next lesson.

Until then!

One thought on “STEM CODING 2ND LESSON

1. Wow! What an awesome blog post! You have worked in such a determined way to solve your coding challenges. Well done! Your analysis of the your effort this term is incredibly thorough! I think your effort has been continuously excellent 🙂