Lesson 3 STEM – Week 4

Today’s lessons were a mixture of fun and persisting, but before I start I have an accomplishment on coding… I figured out the ‘Speaking Backwards!’ code challenge!!! I felt really happy that I figured it out. It turns out that I was on the right and wrong track. I figured out that my input was right but I had forgotten the code: for i in range(len(line(-1, -1,-1). This means for each character in typed text’s length line print the character at the back first. I found out this by going back to the information that I was given and putting it forward towards my own code. I also forgot that you didn’t need the name of the input in between the brackets after print. I know that if you are not python coder, that this might sound like a different language, but don’t worry it’s easy to explain, feel free to ask me.

Today I started the lesson by coding level 4 of my game in progress, Ballon Spikes. I spent a third of the lesson coding that, which was simple. I moved the spikes around, made a new coloured ball, set new obstacles and made sprites trigger the start of the next level. I did a lot of duplicating, adding code to the ballon so when the ball touches the purple ball, the sprite ‘Go to Level: 5’ would show. I also added more broadcast messages for the ballon, and the rest of the sprites. I did encounter one problem, when one of the spike sprites were stubborn and didn’t want to change to costume 2, so I did some fiddling around and I found out that my costume for the spike was set to costume 1 not 2, so I fixed that.

Later in the lesson, I logged onto grok learning and I completed the ‘Speaking Backwards!’ challenge which I got soo excited about because I was stuck on it for a week! The next challenge was called ‘Secret Agent’. In this challenge you have to get your code to print every third letter in your sentence. Luckily, since I had experience from the ‘Speaking Backwards!’ challenge, I had a brief idea of what my code would look like and how it was going to function. Unfortunately, I did not finish it, but I am planning to finishing it in the next upcoming lesson. I would really like to know if you are new to coding, are interested in doing it but don’t do it or don’t know about it/not your thing. If you do grok, I would really appreciate your advice and some tips!

During the lesson, I had a look at my friend’s code and what game she was making on scratch. I saw that she completed her maze game and published it on scratch (I played it too) and saw her make a new game where you make your own subway sandwich. I thought that the idea was cool, and I couldn’t wait to play it.

Sorry, but that is all for now! I will have an update on my next lesson next week!

print(‘Bye everyone!’)

My code for ‘Speaking Backwards!’ that works! YAY!

One thought on “Lesson 3 STEM – Week 4

1. Dear Olivia, thanks for your thoughtful reflection of your achievements and learning this week. It was wonderful to read that you used strong perseverance and problem solving to do the speaking backwards code, you have to show me 🙂 Well done! I am so impressed with your knowledge. Love Mrs Kemp